Break free from traditional, boring basic obedience class!
Many pet owners find traditional basic obedience class to be boring and impractical. The Family Dog Manners Basic Obedience Class focuses on teaching owners how to train their dogs using the most up-to-date applications of science and learning theory. The exercises taught are useful for a companion and family pet. The class uses positive methods to tap into your dog’s intelligence and eagerness to work for food, toys, social or environmental rewards!
The Family Dog Manners Basic Obedience Class initially focuses on calming your dog and building attention and impulse control. We then begin teaching behaviors that will make your dog a more polite and enjoyable family companion.
Basic Obedience Behaviors taught include:
• Sit, Down and Wait– Basic behaviors all pet dogs should know simply because when performing these behaviors your dog cannot be doing other less desirable behaviors like jumping up on you, racing through an open door, or tripping you as you unload groceries from the car. In this class we focus on reinforcing behaviors we want, and learn how easy it is to teach a dog to DO things, as opposed to the difficulty of teaching them how NOT TO DO things.
• Coming when Called (Recall) – Teaching a reliable recall could save your dog’s life. We’ll go beyond the basics and condition your dog to happily romp, race or run to you whenever you call.
• Food Zen/Leave It –We’ll start by teaching World Famous Agility trainer Susan Garrett’s version of “It’s Yer Choice,” a game that teaches impulse control around food. You’ll quickly have a dog that looks at you for direction when food is present, rather than trying to grab it from your hand, or steal it off the picnic table at your next family reunion.
• Go to Mat or Place – Renowned service dog trainer and author, Sue Ailsby writes “Picture your dog crated whenever you need a moment without her, no matter where you are, and without ever having to carry a crate around.” The Family Dog class combines Food Zen and Go To Mat training to teach a dog to lie quietly on her mat while you cook dinner for the family, prepare her dinner meal, or while you watch a movie and eat a bowl of popcorn.
• Walking Politely on a Leash – Learn the basics of training your dog to walk quietly next to you on a leash. We’ll discuss proper equipment and techniques, and practice the mechanical skills needed to train your dog to become a truly enjoyable walking partner.
•Problem solving of common doggie problems including potty training, jumping on visitors, barking, crate training, and more!
•And everyone’s favorite….tricks and doggie dancing!
Basic Obedience Class Details
Classes include email, video support and handouts.
This course is designed for puppies and dogs 16 weeks to 16 years!
The group instruction in our Family Dog Manners Basic Obedience Class is for dogs that are social and not afraid of other dogs or people. If you have questions or concerns please inform the instructor to discuss suitability of your dog to this environment.
Owners must show proof of current rabies vaccination with registration. Owners are responsible for consulting their personal veterinarian to ensure their dog is adequately covered for core vaccines of Distemper/Parvo, etc. It is advised to consult your veterinarian as to the advisability of vaccinating for Kennel Cough (Bordetella) or Canine Influenza prior to exposing your dog to a group setting.
You will need a 6 foot leash, and a flat buckle or martingale collar, head halter, or front attach harness. No “choke” or prong collars. We will begin teaching new behaviors we will be using food as a reward, before transitioning to other rewards. You will need to bring treats to class. Particulars of what is needed for class will be sent out in a pre-class email. You will also need access to high speed internet.
Many exercises in class are taught with supportive video examples sent via email. Dial up connections may be too slow and cumbersome for playing the videos, and without this your class experience will be greatly diminished.
Attendance at a minimum of 4 of the 6 classes will be required for a Family Dog Manners Basic Obedience Class Certificate of Completion.
Information on our next session:
This course is comprised of 6 individual classes running approximately 50-60 minutes each. The class is held inside the Turchin Room of the Watauga Humane Society, 312 Paws Way, Boone, NC 28607, from 6 – 7 pm September 1, 15, 22, 29, October 6 and 20. Attendance at a minimum of 4 of the 6 classes will be required for a Family Dog Manners Basic Obedience Class Certificate of Completion.
Cost: The cost for the 6-week course is $175.00.